Associate editor – Intelligent Insurer – Insurance Group
We are currently looking for an experienced associate editor to guide the continued editorial success of Intelligent Insurer magazine.
The candidate will work with the director of publications to write and manage editorial content for the publications, including paid-for content, as well as moderating events, both virtual and in-person.
The ideal candidate will be a journalist or communications professional (marketing/PR) who has several years’ experience already under their belt ideally writing about re/insurance or risk transfer who is looking to progress their career.
About Newton Media
Newton Media is a UK-based business-to-business publisher and event organiser with a strong track record of delivering critical information when the market needs it most.
Our publications and events are always produced to the highest possible standards, reflecting the exacting needs of our readers and delegates and the equally high quality of our advertisers and sponsors.
We are not an optional platform for our customers, but a real consideration when they are making buying decisions. Our customers like us and what we do for them. Whilst we might not be the biggest, we always try and be the best at what we do.
Our culture and our people are our most important assets. We only hire people who are a strong fit for our core values. We believe that intelligent, driven and diligent people flourish in environments that prioritise trust and independence. We champion transparency, promote open discussion and welcome diverse perspectives throughout all levels of the company. We are remote-first, fully flexible and have a wide range of benefits to suit all.
What is in it for you:
- Financial reward: competitive salary, pension contribution of 3 per cent, income protection scheme, death in service insurance, shopping discounts, financial assistance programme, employee referral scheme, Techscheme, season ticket loan.
- Work/life balance: unlimited holiday, hybrid or remote working (UK only), flexible working, birthday leave.
- Health and wellbeing: Health Shield cash plan, well-being benefits (including 24/7 online GP and mental health support including access to face-to-face counselling), cycle to work scheme, partnership with Everymind at Work.
What you will be doing:
As associate editor, you will have day-to-day responsibility for writing and managing editorial content and events across a wide range of platforms, including the website, conference newsletters and other events around the world. You will be required to travel in this role.
You will work as part of a wider editorial team covering other titles including Bermuda:Re+ILS and Captive International, reporting directly to the director of publications. You will need to be able to prioritise your workload and meet the demands of various team members and deadlines.
Responsibilities will include:
- Responsible for working closely with clients of Intelligent Insurer to deliver on their expectations.
- Responsible for developing all editorial content from concept through to publication (in collaboration with the team).
- Moderating events and interviewing senior people either in a virtual setting or in person.
- Writing a mixture of paid-for content, analysis and features.
- Editorial copy chasing to ensure delivery of what has been agreed with clients.
- Dealing closely with commercial partners for the full lifecycle of their deals.
- Sending out submission guidelines.
- Liaising with contributors.
- Carrying out industry research.
What you will need:
The ideal candidate will consider accuracy and attention to detail a key measure of success, have exceptional organisational skills, and have the ability to communicate with external stakeholders of all levels in a professional and friendly manner, especially commercial partners of the publication. The capability to thrive under pressure will ensure success in this role as working on multiple projects simultaneously will be required. We are looking for a tenacious team player that is confident in taking ownership of their responsibilities, but even more confident in asking for help when they need it.
- 5+ years experience working in B2B journalism as an editor or senior reporter or an equivalent amount of experience working in the sector as a communications professional (marketing/PR).
- A knowledge of the editorial process: from concept to delivery to design and production.
- An in-depth knowledge of the insurance and reinsurance markets and wider risk transfer landscape.
- An understanding of the commercial side of publishing – to understand clients’ needs.
- The ability to moderate or interview executives in front of an audience.
- An understanding of the global economic landscape/key trends and a degree of financial acumen.
- Able to manage a demanding and diverse workload in a fast-paced environment.
- Good news sense and headline writing ability.
- The ability to process vast quantities of information but always remain accurate.
- The ability to pick up a subject matter quickly and become self-sufficient.
- The drive to develop products by suggesting new and innovative platforms and ideas.
- The ability to diplomatically deal with external contacts, including senior executives.
- Demonstrate a team working ethos and have a willingness to learn.
- Be prepared to ‘go the extra mile’.
- Have excellent communication skills, telephone manners and excellent written English.
- Willingness to travel overseas.
- Be comfortable and assertive in moderating roundtable events.
- Be at ease conducting video interviews.
- Be personable, and actively develop stronger relationships with the current editorial board and future additions to it.
- Have strategies for managing workload.
- Degree-level qualification in media, journalism or related subjects although not essential if you have subsequent career experience.
- Fluent English speaker.
- Proficient at using different IT systems including Microsoft Office, Google G-Suite, and website CMSs (WordPress or similar) and able to pick up technology easily.
- Be a nice, friendly and honest person with a cheerful disposition
- Be comfortable working from home